OK, so you have read up on our previous article about customising your finals here and have decided to give it a go. Lets say you want to run your finals series one week earlier than the standard final 4 rounds, for clarity, lets call that ‘Round 19’.
But who can be shagged with manually calculating who plays who and manually keying in all those games…? Well not us, and we assume not you either so we have built a tool to help called the “Game Builder Wizard”.
To setup your finals to run 1 week earlier than the final 4 rounds, you need to first setup the following:
- On your League Edit page (advanced tab), set the “First Finals Round” setting to the round that you will run your first final, ie. round 19. This setting controls which rounds are considered when updating your ladder. The ladder positions at the end of the standard home and away season is used to determine the games in the finals so you don’t want it to change while the finals are being played, otherwise your finals will get buggered up.
- On your Competition Edit page, you need to set the “Finals Model” setting to”None/Custom”. This will tell the system to no create the normal finals games automatically and instead hand the keys over to you to control.
- On the Fixutre page, you will find and “Edit Games” link under the list of games for each round. By default, the system has probably creates a set of games in round 19. Click the “Edit Games” link and delete all of the games, leaving it blank.
Now you just need to play the season as normal until the last round of your home and away season, ie. round 18, is complete.
With round 18 complete, you can now go to the Fixture page and click “Edit” again for Round 19, to setup your finals games.
If there are any games still in Round 19, delete them (but you should have done that already in step 3). Deleting the first will enable the link to the “Game Builder Wizard”. Click on the link and the system will open up a page to help you automatically create the finals games.
The wizard will give you two criteria to pick from:
Game Style: this is the style or format of the games that are to be created. eg. to setup the games for round 1 or a finals series, choose “Finals Round 1”. Similarly, next week for a second round of finals, you would choose “Finals Round 2”.
Participating Clubs: this option lets you choose the number of clubs you want to be involved. If you are running a finals series with the top 5 clubs in your 12 club competition for example, choose 5.
The system will show you a preview of the proposed games on the right. If you are happy with the games, just hit Save and the games will be locked in. You can even then go back in to the Fixture edit page and tweek the games further or even add some extra games for the bottom rankers.
The Game Builder Wizard will always try to merge any existing games but we aware that the Game Builder Wizard will delete any games featuring the Clubs that it cares about. You will see the warning on the screen if this happens.
Another thing to remember is that you need to wait for a round to complete (ie. all the real games have been played) before setting up the next round. This is because for finals games, the Wizard will use the results from the previous round to determine who plays who in the next.
Other than that, you should be good to go.
Latest posts by Ben (see all)
- TheBench Lockdown - March 26, 2020
- High-Flying Swans Zero in on Grand Final Redemption - September 3, 2017
- Customise your finals, Part 2 - July 4, 2016